Rohatsu sesshin 2010
"Rohatsu" is Japanese for "the 8th of the 12th." In the northern hemisphere December 8th is the Buddhist winter holiday. It is an observance of the Buddha's enlightenment; the story goes that after years of searching he finally decided to sit down continuously until he understood the nature of Reality, or something like that. It is said to have taken 8 days.
- Great Snow - during this sesshin, Minneapolis (where it was located) suffered it's fifth-worst snowstorm in recorded history. The roof of the local American professional football stadium caved-in, for example. This essay points to my experience of all this.
- Great Soreness - lest you think sesshin is all about enlightenment and tranquility.
- Great Sorrow - sadness sits sesshin.
- Great Sincerity - was I to be the Great Zen Failure of 2010?
- Great Guys - on human community.